Join a long-lasting winning team! Olsen Tool & Plastics ("OTP") is a 60+ year old, family owned, plastic injection molding manufacturer located in the southwest suburbs of Minneapolis, MN.
We are actively recruiting a Tool Room Manager to join our small but mighty team. This key position will manage and coordinate the operations of the tool room while overseeing the design and building of new tooling and the maintenance of existing tooling.
This is a fast-paced, hands-on role that works directly with external and internal customers. The successful candidate will value collaboration with team members, work cross-functionally, be a problem solver and a “go to” person, and drive toward root cause analysis and process improvement.
OTP is known for their exceptional customer service and is looking for our next servant leader who enjoys delighting the customer while demanding excellence throughout a manufacturing facility.
Tool Room Manager
- Oversee the scheduling and timely completion of all tool room work, including tooling design, sampling, the building of new molds, fixtures and related tools, and the maintenance, repair or modification of existing molds, fixtures and related tooling.
- Hire, train, oversee, review and manage tool room personnel in conjunction with Human Resources.
- Assist customers with their tooling questions and requirements.
- Ensure projects stay within their labor and material budgets and communicate any expected delays or budget variations to management.
- Ensure regular movement towards process improvement by keeping machinery up to date and pushing team towards greater efficiency and growth.
- Provide accurate and timely material cost and time estimates for customers, internal management, and internal work orders regarding repairs or modifications of existing molds, fixtures or related tooling.
- Manage outside tooling vendors by soliciting quotes and purchasing outside design work and tool builds as deemed necessary.
- Enter all tooling sales orders into the company’s ERP project management module in a timely and accurate manner.
- Complete and maintain any department related paperwork or electronic data in an orderly and timely manner.
- Meet quarterly metric requirements.
- Ensure ECO's are created for all applicable mold revisions and repairs.
- Work with the Quality Assurance department to develop quality assurance procedures and techniques.
- Project manage the building and sampling of new or revised tooling.
- Order all tool room supplies, materials and equipment required to meet department needs.
- Take an active role on the floor by performing daily layered process audits.
Key Qualifications and Skills:
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing networks and participating in professional societies.
- Promote and maintain good business relationships with customers, vendors, and co-workers.
- Model and maintain a culture of cooperation and accountability within the department and between departments.
- Watch for unsafe conditions and enforce safety requirements.
Qualifications and Skills
- Must have a trade school graduate degree or equivalent and engineering mindset.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of experience in plastic injection mold making.
- Must understand complex mold design and construction and possess an above average mechanical aptitude.
- Must be able to follow directions and communicate clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Must understand plastic injection mold making jargon.
- Must have a strong knowledge and comprehension of machining processes and their application.
- Must be able to read blue prints and CAD files.
- Must be computer literate in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Must be able to move between job functions in an efficient and well prioritized manner.
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills and the ability to accurately complete mathematical problems.
- Demonstrate trouble shooting and problem solving skills along with strong judgment capabilities.
- Employ supervisory skills.
- Must possess the ability to work independently and as a team member to achieve common goals.
We are a family owned company with 45 employees. Our production team runs in two 12 hours shifts, four days a week, serving customers in the medical device, agricultural and industrial industries. OTP is a full-service custom molder taking customers from design to the completed part. Our in-house tool room builds molds from simple to sophisticate. Our production expertise ranges from critical tolerance engineered components to a standard fitting line. Learn more at www.olsentool.com
If this position sounds like the direction you want to take your career, let’s have a conversation! We look forward to receiving your resume and reviewing your experience!